2021 clearly had its ups and downs and this was made worse by the ever-changing coronavirus situation in the world. Despite that however, there were significant strides that I was able to make throughout the year and here is a summary review of my year and a few key learnings and notes for next year
2021, THIS YEAR WE BREAKTHROUGH
- In January I set all my goals for the year and set the years mantra which for me was that this year we breakthrough
- I also got a continental wide recognition as one of The Top 100 Youth Leaders in Africa sharing audience with the likes of Aya Chebi and other amazing young leaders of Africa.
- With my organization Stowelink we started a 800,000 project, the phase 2 of the NCDs 365 project where we intended to share weekly animated videos to educate the world on non-communicable diseases.
- In February I launched the Mental Health Matters Anthology, my third published book and did a book tour for the book as well.
- Had multiple media features with Alhuda TV talking on issues of non-communicable diseases and obesity
- Won the Social Innovation Warehouse scholarship
- Received double nominations for the Quality Health Care Kenyan Awards 2021
- Started designing my first online course NCDs for public health
- Featured on the YALI website
- Appointed to the Global Youth Meet organizing committee
- Nominated and participated as a judge in the Hult Prize regionals
- Won the Quality Health Care Kenyan Awards student innovation project of the year 2021
- Also won first runners up best use of social media in health for The Quality Health Care Kenyan Awards with Stowelink Inc
- Co authored an award-winning research paper that was published under the World Health Organizations Hideyo Noguchi Prize for African Researchers.
- Started recording the NCDs for Public Health Course
- Featured in the One Young World Impact Report
- Featured as the cover model and main story in the Kore Magazine.
- Qualified for the Jasiri Talent Investor Programme
- Participated in and hosted the launch of the Young Health Programme With Plan International In Kenya At K24 Tv Station
- Participated as a panelist in the Commonwealth Scholarship Alumni meet
- Nominated as one of the top 15 African health innovators under The Young Innovators For Health Award
- Hosted a medical camp at the Jomo Kenyatta University
- Finished shooting the NCDs For Public Health Course
- Launched the NCDs For Public Health Course On Udemy
- Launched a book that I coauthored called We Have A Dream in Tokyo Japan.
- Featured on the University Of Manchester website
- Presented in the 9th International Festival Of Public Health
- Graduated from the ECPO IPAP obesity advocacy training
- Graduated from university of Virginia’s Dalai Lama Fellowship
- Won Youth of The Year In The Top 35 Under 35 Awards In Kenya
- Gave a masterclass on mental health to the Commonwealth Scholars
- Hit 500 students mark in the NCDs for Public Health Course
- Travel to Rwanda for a 2-month residential intensive training with the Jasiri Talent Investor
- Featured as Opportunity Desk Person Of The Month
- Finished and graduated from the Jasiri Talent Investor
- Co-founded Lifesten health in Rwanda
- Participated as a facilitator in the Scope School global for obesity and cardiovascular health
- Launched the Afroprenuer Podcast
- Presented at the International Council Of Nurses Conference 2021
- Spoke at the global Obesity Week Conference
- Finished the NCDs 365 project phase 2 with 54 videos and partners in 10 countries
- Spoke at the World Heart Summit
- Won pre-seed funding for Lifesten Health
- Won project funding for Stowelink Inc
- Hit almost 700 students with the NCDs For Public Health Course
- Hit over 100 active users for the NCDs 365 app
- Finished reading my 9th book for the year
Notes from 2021 and plans for 2022
From the year 2021 the most important notes I have been able to gather are the following
- Write your goals on a book and constantly keep track of them
- Vision boards are extremely important, remember where you put your focus, energy flows
- Faith is such an important component of success; you just have to go the first step and hope that the next step will show up
- Long term strategy is so vital in a bid to develop sustainable impact.
- Don’t confuse preparation time and harvest time, 2021 was definitely a preparation time for me in many ways as I started things that will in the future yield results
Plans for 2022
- Whilst ill not state my plans for 2022, here is what I believe is vital advice for 2022. The mantra for 2022 is THIS YEAR WE PREPAIRE. In many ways I see 2022 as a major preparation year, preparing for new opportunities, investing, and setting solid foundations.
- Successful time management will be key in 2022 as it will be handling multiple organizations and initiatives at the same time and preparing them for the rise.
- Broadening my scope of knowledge in business management, visualization and meditation will be key for me in 2022.
- Investing more in human capital and social connections will also be a key focus for me in 2022
- Finally, 2022 will be a year that will be full of pivoting, taking in new perspectives but most importantly creating forward momentum in all aspects of my life.