2021 clearly had its ups and downs and this was made worse by the ever-changing coronavirus situation in the world. Despite that however, there were significant strides that I was able to make throughout the year and here is a summary review of my year and a few key learnings and notes for next year
2021, THIS YEAR WE BREAKTHROUGH
- In January I set all my goals for the year and set the years mantra which for me was that this year we breakthrough
- I also got a continental wide recognition as one of The Top 100 Youth Leaders in Africa sharing audience with the likes of Aya Chebi and other amazing young leaders of Africa.
- With my organization Stowelink we started a 800,000 project, the phase 2 of the NCDs 365 project where we intended to share weekly animated videos to educate the world on non-communicable diseases.
- In February I launched the Mental Health Matters Anthology, my third published book and did a book tour for the book as well.
- Had multiple media features with Alhuda TV talking on issues of non-communicable diseases and obesity
- Won the Social Innovation Warehouse scholarship
- Received double nominations for the Quality Health Care Kenyan Awards 2021
- Started designing my first online course NCDs for public health
- Featured on the YALI website
- Appointed to the Global Youth Meet organizing committee
- Nominated and participated as a judge in the Hult Prize regionals
- Won the Quality Health Care Kenyan Awards student innovation project of the year 2021
- Also won first runners up best use of social media in health for The Quality Health Care Kenyan Awards with Stowelink Inc
- Co authored an award-winning research paper that was published under the World Health Organizations Hideyo Noguchi Prize for African Researchers.
- Started recording the NCDs for Public Health Course
- Featured in the One Young World Impact Report
- Featured as the cover model and main story in the Kore Magazine.
- Qualified for the Jasiri Talent Investor Programme
- Participated in and hosted the launch of the Young Health Programme With Plan International In Kenya At K24 Tv Station
- Participated as a panelist in the Commonwealth Scholarship Alumni meet
- Nominated as one of the top 15 African health innovators under The Young Innovators For Health Award
- Hosted a medical camp at the Jomo Kenyatta University
- Finished shooting the NCDs For Public Health Course
- Launched the NCDs For Public Health Course On Udemy
- Launched a book that I coauthored called We Have A Dream in Tokyo Japan.
- Featured on the University Of Manchester website
- Presented in the 9th International Festival Of Public Health
- Graduated from the ECPO IPAP obesity advocacy training
- Graduated from university of Virginia’s Dalai Lama Fellowship
- Won Youth of The Year In The Top 35 Under 35 Awards In Kenya
- Gave a masterclass on mental health to the Commonwealth Scholars
- Hit 500 students mark in the NCDs for Public Health Course
- Travel to Rwanda for a 2-month residential intensive training with the Jasiri Talent Investor
- Featured as Opportunity Desk Person Of The Month
- Finished and graduated from the Jasiri Talent Investor
- Co-founded Lifesten health in Rwanda
- Participated as a facilitator in the Scope School global for obesity and cardiovascular health
- Launched the Afroprenuer Podcast
- Presented at the International Council Of Nurses Conference 2021
- Spoke at the global Obesity Week Conference
- Finished the NCDs 365 project phase 2 with 54 videos and partners in 10 countries
- Spoke at the World Heart Summit
- Won pre-seed funding for Lifesten Health
- Won project funding for Stowelink Inc
- Hit almost 700 students with the NCDs For Public Health Course
- Hit over 100 active users for the NCDs 365 app
- Finished reading my 9th book for the year
Notes from 2021 and plans for 2022
From the year 2021 the most important notes I have been able to gather are the following
- Write your goals on a book and constantly keep track of them
- Vision boards are extremely important, remember where you put your focus, energy flows
- Faith is such an important component of success; you just have to go the first step and hope that the next step will show up
- Long term strategy is so vital in a bid to develop sustainable impact.
- Don’t confuse preparation time and harvest time, 2021 was definitely a preparation time for me in many ways as I started things that will in the future yield results
Plans for 2022
- Whilst ill not state my plans for 2022, here is what I believe is vital advice for 2022. The mantra for 2022 is THIS YEAR WE PREPAIRE. In many ways I see 2022 as a major preparation year, preparing for new opportunities, investing, and setting solid foundations.
- Successful time management will be key in 2022 as it will be handling multiple organizations and initiatives at the same time and preparing them for the rise.
- Broadening my scope of knowledge in business management, visualization and meditation will be key for me in 2022.
- Investing more in human capital and social connections will also be a key focus for me in 2022
- Finally, 2022 will be a year that will be full of pivoting, taking in new perspectives but most importantly creating forward momentum in all aspects of my life.
3 thoughts on “2021 HIGHLIGHTS AND MESSAGE FROM OGWENO STEPHEN”
Am pleased to read once again from you Mr, Steven your hard work has owesomely paid you well.
Continue to inspire many continue to build Africa, @ Stowe link long live.